Sunday, June 3, 2012

Review of Copyright Trackstar

I found that the first website listed on this Trackstar was broken. 

For the second site, the answers to the four questions were found pretty quickly by clicking on Copyright Basics. From there, I scrolled down to visibly find the answers. The questions are basic, but they do help you to understand copyrights, what is protected and how to get a copyright.
  1. A copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States to the authors of "original works of authorship."
  2. Works that are not protected include works that have not been fixed in tangible form of expression like choreographic works that were not recorded, titles, names, short phrases and slogans, ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries or devices, and works consisting entirely of info that is common property with no original authorship, like a tape measures. 
  3. A copyright is secured automatically when the work is created and fixed in a copy or phono record for the first time.
  4. Registration is not required, but highly recommended. It is considered to be a legal formality, but it has advantages. 
For the third site that was listed, the link was not found.

For the fourth site, it did in fact show up. Off to a good start there. All of the answers could easily be found on the page. 
  1. After April 1, 1989.
  2. Some older works have lost their copyright protection without warning, but nowadays copyright is never lost. 
  3. The symbol is a circle with a c in it. Other forms are (C), Copyright, or All Rights Reserved. 
  4. PD means non-commercial use.
For the fifth site, it is built for children which would be helpful for elementary school teachers. The questions that were asked are redundant. The author should have tried to ask different questions, or have used this website as the first website. 
  1. Copyright is the law of the United States that protects the works of authors, artists, composers, and others from being used without permission.
  2. Fair use allows you to use a limited amount of copyrighted material for educational purposes.
  3. I did not find a definite answer to this question on the website. They did mention that you could email the owner of a copyright to request permission to use it. One could also look to government sites for copyright laws.
  4. For music and lyrics, you can use up to 10% but no more than 30 seconds of copyrighted song.
Overall, this Trackstar was just okay. The questions were very repetitive even on the sites that did not work. If the author wanted people to learn more about copyrights, they should have looked at other issues associated with them. That would have made it a stronger WebQuest.

2 comments:

  1. Kalyn, I agree with your review. I understand that this WebQuest was made in 2005 so perhaps that is why the links are broken because those links were not maintained. I do like that various sites were listed to gain insight on copyright because each was slightly different.

    I think that in a general view, it is easier to just cite and give credit to anything that is not your own when using it for a lesson. I have seen teachers in the past photocopy documents that have stated "not to be copied or reproduced" without permission, but some teachers would do it anyway and give credit, although I was never sure if that was "okay".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have somewhat radical views on Copyrighted material. I believe as many things should be free as possible. Therefore I have no problem with teachers passing out or using copyrighted material in violation of copyright law. I was always pumped when college professors passed out copies of a chapter or article because that was one less thing that my broke self didn't have to buy.

    ReplyDelete